Why a sustainable brand for pets?
The Canadians dispose of between 68 pounds to 81 pounds of textiles each year. Only an estimated 15% of textiles are currently being re-used or recycled, which means 85% of textiles are going to landfill.
All these numbers have a massive impact on the environment and to our health. Just to illustrate, below is an example of some of the environmental impacts of the Fashion Industry:
- Textile waste has increased 811% since 1960 in the USA, most of which ends up in landfills.
- One garbage truck of textiles is landfilled or incinerated every second.
- Clothing sales produced about 280,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions. We need 2.58 million trees to offset that.
- The volume of water consumed by the Fashion Industry today is already large with nearly 79 billion cubic meters – enough to fill nearly 32 million Olympic–size swimming pools.
- 95% of today’s post-consumer textile waste can be reused or recycled.
We can change this game improving the reuse, recycling, and other forms to save our used textiles. Improving the Circular Economy are one of our pillars, providing multiple points of aggregated value, instead of just a few, like the current model in the Linear Economy. When we extend the clothing lifespan, we can generate a lot of benefits for the environment, few examples are listed below:
- We can save up to 2,400 gallons of water, for each pound of upcycled textile waste.
- Each ton of recycled fabrics, 20 tons of CO2 are avoided to go into the atmosphere.
- Doubling the useful life of clothing from 1 year in 2 years reduces emissions over the year by 24%.
For all these reasons that we at Up Pet have a mission to develop products that reuse, recycle, and upcycle materials in good conditions. Creating the most creative, sustainable, and eco-friendly accessories for our furry friends.